When you search the Internet for Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools to manage your DDI requirements, you come across a list of popular tools – Ansible, CloudFormation, Terraform, etc. What’s not easy is figuring out which one of these you should use.
In this post, we’re going to dive into some very specific details about Infoblox’s latest integration with Terraform.
Terraform is IaC software that allows consistent and predictive deployment of infrastructure across multiple providers, both in the public and private cloud.
Automated deployment of core network services, i.e. DNS, DHCP and IPAM, has become a vital element for modern day tech-savvy organizations. The latest Infoblox plugin for Terraform eliminates the need to configure network services manually and enables end-to-end automation and orchestration of the entire infrastructure.
With Infoblox Plugin for Terraform installed on your Azure or VMware cloud environment you can automate the following:
- Creation of Network View in NIOS appliance
- Creation & Deletion of IPv4 Network in NIOS appliance
- Allocation & Deallocation of IP from an IPv4 Network
- Association & Dissociation of IPv4 Address for a VM
- Creation and Deletion of DNS records (A,CNAME,PTR)
Before installing the Infoblox Plugin for Terraform, please make sure to meet some of the following basic system pre-requisites:
- Terraform version – v0.11.12 or above
- Go 1.10.4 (to Build provider plugin)
- An authoritative and reverse mapping zone on NIOS
- Cloud Network Automation license on the Infoblox Grid to enable full visibility in your cloud environment.
Installation of the Plugin is done by simply pulling the code from repository by using this command:
The following flow chart sums up the workflow of execution steps for Infoblox IPAM plugin for Terraform:
For more information on the IPAM plugin for Terraform and to see it in action, please watch this video:
Integrating Infoblox IPAM plugin with multiple Terraform providers extends the capability of your infrastructure by providing an easy-to-deploy solution, and eliminates the need to for any manual steps in provisioning of workloads.